Open web version of the course
Reusable versions of the course
The online course “Open Education: fundamentals and approaches”, produced within the OpenMed project with the support of the Erasmus+ Capacity Building Programme of the European Union, aims to build capacity on Open Education and Open Educational Resources (OER) among universities’ teaching staff.
The course content is composed of five modules, which explore different aspects of openness within Higher Education, and it is available in a wide range of platforms and formats, so anyone anywhere can repurpose them according to their own needs.
During the OpenMed project (2016-2018) the South Mediterranean region was targeted. After piloting and validation, the course is now open to any university and individual learner interested in it.
The course is addressed to university educators (professors, lecturers) from any discipline, with the following required characteristics:
- Basic ICT skills (use of computer, email, forum etc.)
- Curiosity and willingness to learn about Open Education
- Openness to re-think and question one’s educational practice
- High engagement with individual and group learning activities
- Open to constructive feedback, respectful to others
- Willingness to work in intercultural context and awareness.
The course is available in English, Arabic and French.
Key learning outcomes
The expected learning outcomes for learners taking the OpenMed course are:
- Understand the potential advantages of adopting OER and Open Education approaches in different contexts
- Recognise relevant concepts such as OER, Open Educational Practices, open content, open pedagogy, open assessment
- Understand how content released under different open licences can be reused
- Distinguish different types of Open Licences and understand limitations in the reuse of Open Content
- Apply Open Licences to their own content
- Search for high quality OER
- Reuse and remix OER
- Recognise different types of open educational practices and initiatives.
- Understand what MOOCs are and how to produce MOOCs
- Incorporate open educational practices into their teaching and learning
- Adapt OER and MOOCs to their specific context.