ICOE at Cairo University, Egypt
Cairo University aims to raise awareness and facilitate the adoption of Open Educational Resources (OER) and Open Educational Practices (OEP) in Egypt and the region of the Arab Mediterranean countries.
The OpenMed team at CU fosters the role of universities as knowledge providers not only to their on-campus students but also beyond the walls of institutions, especially towards disadvantaged groups (e.g. low income peoples, disabled students, people living in rural areas, learners at risk of low achievement, refugees).
ICOE and OER servers are located at CASBEC, Faculty of Engineering, CU.
Cairo University is utlizing the five Innovation Centres for Open Education (ICOEs) – accessible to students, staff and instructors – to perform the following activities:
- Conduct several open seminars to increase the awareness of Open Education concept in Egypt;
- Conduct online course similar to OpenMed online course for several groups starting with three groups from CU, Helwan University, and Menia University;
- Enable staff and instructors to create OER for open courses using the OpenMed server capabilities.
In the future, The ICOEs and the OER server of CU will be used to create, host, access, maintain, and keep improving OER and open education courses.
There are five ICOEs at Cairo University. They are located as follows:
- Lab1 located on the second floor of the main building of the faculty of Engineering capus in ElSheikh Zayed city. This lab has the capacity of 35 workstations.
- Lab2 located on the second floor of the main building of the faculty of Engineering capus in ElSheikh Zayed city. This lab has the capacity of 25 workstations.
- Lab3 located on the ground floor of the Center for Advanced Software and Biomedical Engineering Consultations (CASBEC) in the faculty of Engineering main capus in Giza city. This lab has the capacity of 20 workstations. The OER server is located at CASBEC as well.
- Lab4 located on the ground floor of CASBEC in the faculty of Engineering main capus in Giza city. This lab has the capacity of 20 workstations. This lab is planned to be moved to the Nanotechnology building in the campus of CU in ElSheikh Zayed city.
- Lab5 located on the ground floor in the innovation center in the faculty of Commerce capus in ElSheikh Zayed city. This lab has the capacity of 89 workstations.
El Sayed M. Tag Eldin, Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University stageldin[AT]ieee.org
Ayman M. Eldeib, Professor, Systems and Biomedical Engineering Department, Cairo University eldeib[AT]eng1.cu.edu.eg